Tuesday 13 March 2012

Seizure Alert Dogs - Canine Partners For Life - Comcast OnDemand 4/2009


I chose this video because it shows the many facets of animal assistance for people who have impairments. My supervisor on my first placement had a trained seizure alert dog, so this is something that is of great interest to me. Not every dog is suitable for this role, they need to be finely tuned to their handlers physical state. I personally find it fascinating that a dog can sense a seizure coming on, obviously there are physical changes going on for the owner up to an hour before the seizure that the dog can detect.... are they electrical, chemical, what is it that the dog is picking up on? And then they are also trained to support the person while they are going through the seizure as well, staying close by and often bringing a phone or medication if required. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment